Saturday, November 25, 2023

Helpful hints for the novice five element acupuncturist: 6 Watching the way we walk

In everything we do we reveal the element which guides our life.  It is therefore worth learning to focus on one or other particular aspect of a person’s behaviour to help us begin to perceive how what may appear to be an almost irrelevant diagnostic indicator can, on the contrary, become the one which may confirm our diagnosis of a person’s element.  

I was thinking of this today as I sat having my morning coffee in my favourite café, and found that I was observing the crowds of people passing the window along the street outside.  I became aware of the very different ways they walked, some with quick, hurried steps, others more slowly and steadily, some with each foot planted firmly on the ground, others light-footed, almost floating past.

 

I was sure that each of these different ways of walking was telling me something about their owners’ elements, if I could learn to interpret what I was seeing accurately.  So which elements was I observing, I asked myself.  The feet firmly planted on the ground group might well have a kinship with the Earth element, for I had often noticed how much Earth relied on its contact with the ground beneath its feet.  Those walking more lightly seemed to be pointing me more towards the Metal element, having often noticed how Metal moves quietly through the spaces it occupies.  With Wood and Fire, two yang elements, there seems to be more energy in their movements, with Wood definitely showing its natural strength and firmness, as though it is striding forward into life.  Fire, too, has energy in all its movements, but these movements are much less clearly directional than Wood’s, being rather more jerky, as though they are darting from one side to the next, much as fire itself flickers.   

 

With Water I draw a slight blank in my mind, reflecting some of the uncertainty Water’s somewhat ephemeral nature always tends to evoke in me.  It is as though its movements mimic its capacity constantly to change shape to survive (from ice, through water to steam).  Water can either seem to be holding itself quite still, before darting rapidly forward.  But I must look more carefully at Water’s walk before describing it in greater detail.

 

So everything we do, from sitting in a café to enjoying a party with our friends, can turn into another lesson in learning about the elements, if we encourage it to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment